Quotes are fun. Quotes are useful. We all love them, don’t we? They also inspire marketers and businesses alike to achieve greater things. Added to the beginning or the end, or in fact anywhere in a report or presentation, quotes are the special inspiration that is often needed to drive action.
Here, as every year, are C³Centricity’s favourite quotes with ideas on how to action them and make them a part of your 2015 objectives. Enjoy!
1. “Creativity is intelligence having fun” Albert Einstein (>>Tweet this<<)
With the global sharing of thoughts and ideas thanks to the internet and social media, creativity has become a much sought-after skill. However, the more you try to be creative, the less it seems to happen. So instead of making it an objective in and of itself, aim to have fun and your creativity will flow naturally, without effort.
2. “If you are an artist, learn science. If you are a scientist, cultivate art” Karin Timpone (>>Tweet this<<)
This quote highlights the much needed skills of today’s marketers. They must use both sides of their brains and to develop their talents in both analysis and creativity. Which do you need to exercise more in the coming year?
3. “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel” Maya Angelo (>>Tweet this<<)
Everyone seems to be talking about emotions these days and yet marketers often struggle to walk the walk of emotional connection with their customers. Review your own plans and see if you can incorporate additional ways to resonate more emotionally with your customers.
4. “A br and is no longer what we tell the consumer it is — it is what consumers tell each other it is” Scott Cook (>>Tweet this<<)
Another quote that highlights the importance of both deep customer underst anding and the use of social media today. Do you know what customers are saying about your br and? Do you observe these conversations and join them with relevant information and ideas, or are you still trying to sell?
5. “If you’re not failing now and again, it’s a sign you’re not doing anything innovative” Woody Allen (>>Tweet this<<)
We all seem to do everything possible to avoid failure and yet failing is the sign that you are going outside your comfort zone and are trying new things. If you’re not failing occasionally then you are not trying hard enough to change. When was the last time YOU failed?
6. “The cost of being wrong is less than the cost of doing nothing” Seth Godin (>>Tweet this<<)
This quote also highlights the importance of failing and reminds us that it is better to fail and correct than to continue in a state of business as usual. This also reminds me of the importance of customer complaints. Whilst some might do everything to avoid them, the modern marketer knows that customer complaints are a gift to help improve their business. Do you welcome or resist customers who complain?
7. “Don’t tell me how good you make it; tell me how good it makes me when I use it” Leo Burnett (>>Tweet this<<)
Customer centricity is all about thinking customer first in everything we do. Is your website content filled with information your customers will find useful or is it all about you?
8. “I’d rather spend money on things that improve the customer experience than on marketing” Tony Hsieh (>>Tweet this<<)
OK I know this one might be hard for a marketer to accept, but in fact this should be the mantra of marketers, not just a CEO. Marketing should be about making our customers’ lives better. (>>Tweet this<<)
9. “To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy” Sun Tzu (>>Tweet this<<)
Although this is a quote that was originally about war, it is also very relevant for marketing. If you are not regularly walking in your customers’ shoes then you don’t really know them.
10. “We must move from numbers keeping score to numbers that drive better actions” David Walmsley (>>Tweet this<<)
Big Data has become a hot topic for marketers in the last few years and many still struggle to feel at ease with numbers. This quote reminds us that working with data is just a way to get our job done better. If you are only using it only for keeping score then you are missing a valuable asset to your marketing efforts.
11. “Innovation should be massively disruptive now – today” Kirk Perry, Google (>>Tweet this<<)
Customers today are extremely dem anding and innovation has become vital to the success of a br and. Customers no longer stay surprised and delighted for long, so if you are not innovating you are or will shortly start to decline.
12. “If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough” Mario Andretti (>>Tweet this<<)
Yet another reminder that the pace of business if getting faster and faster. Moving forward automatically brings a feeling of being just a little unstable, but that shows you are not happy with the status quo and are pushing forward – great!
13. “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant” Robert Louis Stevenson (>>Tweet this<<)
If a business is satisfied with current results and not thinking about the future then it is heading for disaster. This is of particular importance to those working in B2B, where every day needs to include both client service and client search. (>>Tweet this<<)
14. “Every br and isn’t for everybody, and everybody isn’t for every br and” Liz Lange (>>Tweet this<<)
Are you trying to satisfy everyone? It’s impossible. Segmentation and targeting is the only way for a business or br and to be successful. It is hard to ignore some customers, but doing it will ensure you totally satisfy the ones you have decided to target.
15. “Stop selling. Start helping” Zig Ziglar (>>Tweet this<<)
As already mentioned marketing is not about convincing people to buy, but explaining to them why they should want to consider doing so. If you are helpful and have a product or service designed to meet or surpass their needs, then the sales will come without much selling.
These are C³Centricity’s favourite marketing quotes of the year. Do you have a favourite that is not included in our list? Then please let us know by adding a comment below; it will get added to our large Library of quotes on our website and might be added to our next book in development on Winning Actionable Insights.
If you would like help in improving your insight development or marketing processes then please contact us today for an informal chat about your needs. We would love to support you in 2015.
C³Centricity used an image from Dreamstime in this post.